London has always been regarded as the gastronomy capital of the UK. The first restaurant in the UK to be awarded a Michelin star was Le Gavroche, in London.
According to the most recent Waitrose Good Food Guide, 15 restaurants in the capital are amongst the best 50 in the country and four are ranked in the top ten.
Below are the top ten in London, according to the guide.
1 to 5
1. Pollen Street Social – Pollen Street Social is rated the best restaurant in London. British chef Jason Atherton’s Mayfair restaurant serves dishes such as Red Pepper and Almond Crusted Monkfish in a relaxed and informal setting.
2. Hibiscus – A blend of traditional French cooking and experimental combinations make up the unique menu at this cosy restaurant in Mayfair. You can try a new dish such as Ovaltine parfait.
3. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay – Ramsay’s flagship restaurant in SW3 has three Michelin stars. It is especially well known for its sumptuous deserts like Lemonade Parfait and Raspberry soufflé.
4. Hedone – Situated in Chiswick and holding one Michelin star, Hedone offers a wonderfully presented selection of modern European cuisine.
5. The Ledbury – Opened in Notting Hill when the head-chef was just 25, and holding two Michelin stars, The Ledbury serves a wide range of innovative dishes.
If you have ambitions of making the list with your own restaurant (already established or yet to be opened), you will need top quality commercial ovens to deal with high volumes of cooking. You can find a great range of these at websites such as https://www.247cateringsupplies.co.uk/catering-equipment/heavy-cooking-equipment/commercial-ovens-ranges.
6 to 10
6. Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester Hotel – One of France’s most famous chefs, his restaurant has been awarded three Michelin stars.
7. Fera at Claridges – offers a “surprise menu” made up of products from the restaurant’s own farm.
8. Le Gavroche – Quintessential French cuisine (including frogs’ legs) fills the menu at this Mayfair restaurant.
9. Marcus at the Berkeley – a relaxed and contemporary space inside the Berkeley Hotel in Knightsbridge, this restaurant offers a variety of menus and even the option to eat at the chef’s table.
10. The Greenhouse – A two Michelin-starred restaurant serving desserts such as chestnut and yuzu with honey and Guinness ice cream.